Thursday 15 July 2010

Lady Jane

As birching is very much a la mode, I thought that I would share a favourite film scene with you. It's one of those early films that made me go 'hmmmmm'.It is the film 'Lady Jane' starring Helena Bonham Carter.

Lady Jane Grey is reluctant to marry Lord Guildford Dudley, so her mother decides to 'persuade her'. When she hears that she is to go to the gallery she tries to escape, but is caught and dragged there by servants. The whipping stool is brought in, and her mother enters, followed by a female servant carrying the birch rod. The rod in question, is the 'bundle of sticks' type. The male servants then leave the gallerry. Jane positions herself on the bench then female servants lift her skirts up and the punishment begins, administered by her mother. The sound of the birch, the facial expressions, the cries and sobs issuing from Jane are nice. Halfway through, a dishevelled looking Jane, hair all out of place remains defiant, so is put back over the bench by servants for more. Unfortunately you don't get a view of her bottom and the scene is truncated, but still, some good 'food for thought' there.

This scene does it for me on so many levels. The force used at the start, the formality of it,the stern demeanor of her mother.......mmmmmm.....

Here it is for your viewing pleasure-good old youtube!

1 comment:

  1. A couple years ago I was staying with my parents, and rented this with the idea that it seemed a nice, safe period-piece, without too much risk of steamy sex scenes, which I just don't want to watch with my parents (for some reason!)

    Well, I was surprised and dismayed when this scene came up -- how could I get through this with my parents in the room? This was far more erotic for me than any conventional sex scene, and it always feels as if they *know*, that it must be obvious to everyone!

    In the end, I said I needed a cuppa tea, and they should just keep watching and I'd join them in a moment. And then I fled the room as fast as my legs would take me, and didn't return until I was sure no more whippings would be taking place!

    ReplyDelete